Thursday, December 5, 2019

My Erstwhile Surgery Date

So...here it is. December 5, 2019. My erstwhile surgery date. The date I waited for ALL summer; through all of the bullshit of musical surgeons and appointments, all the hoops through which Anthem Blue Cross required we jump, it's HERE. Today. This is IT. Not the most convenient time of year, but THIS IS IT.

No, it isn't.

That's why I'm conscious, coherent, and writing this blog. It didn't happen.

We got a call two nights ago from the surgical coordinator at the doctor's office. Apparently THE HOSPITAL (not them, you see - it's THE HOSPITAL that goofed) double-booked the time or the O.R. or some other such bullshit and, so, I'm OUT. Hubby's convinced that there was a bigger name with better insurance who was given priority. After all, we're just the little guys. It's OK if we swing in the wind. It's OK that we made plans, rushed Christmas preps, notified friends & family, took time off of work, and got mentally, emotionally, and spiritually prepared for this scary eventuality. It's OK because it's no more serious than getting one's hair done or teeth cleaned, right? No biggy. She's been waiting all summer for this surgery? F HER! We'll just move her around like a friggin' pawn on a G.D. chess board.

Angry? Who, me?

Re: swinging in the wind, they were supposed to have called back yesterday to confirm the new date, or to confirm that they couldn't keep the old date or whatever-the-F. By 2:00 yesterday afternoon I was ready to start drinking so, of course, I had to call THEM. Voice mail. Natch.

Anyway, when she finally called me back it was with an entirely different date. So that's three, for those of you keeping score. Wonder how long that date will stick? I asked her if this was standard operating (pun intended) procedure for this particular hospital. This will be my first time at this hospital (I'm making the rounds). This certainly doesn't instill confidence. HELLO, HOLY CROSS HOSPITAL IN MISSION HILLS!

Well, I suppose that's all I needed to do here; vent. And so I have.

The saga continues...

5 comments:

  1. So wrong. The only thing I can say is to contact the Hospital Administrator. Not an assistant, but the top person. Unfortunately, they never ever hear about these mishaps unless the patient takes the time and demands to speak directly with them. I’ve worked in hospital healthcare for 25 years and I’m telling you this is the only way that anyone will ever hear about this error. It can be a nice conversation, just the facts as they were told to you. I promise that after that conversation, heads will fly. Hospitals are ALWAYS a case of the mishaps stay within middle management and don’t reach the top unless a patient takes it there. Then see what happens. I would also call out the Dr. it’s not usually their fault per say, but they should be profusely kissing your ass and accommodating you any way they can. It is the hospital error. Please Terry take the time to reach out to admin top brass. It’s so hard when you’re the patient and all the emotion and fear and planning goes to shit. But if no one reports it, it will happen to the next guy. To your husband, please be your advocate. It’s really tough taking this type of issue on by yourself. I look forward to what they have to say. Stay strong. Much love ❤️❤️❤️������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I'll do just that! Thank you for your knowledge and experience, Lori.

      Delete
    2. Great advice on Hospital Administration. I would also schedule a meeting with Chief of Staff. As an M.D., this person and the hospital administrator should both see the legal risks for the hospital or it's staff having contributed or caused this to happen. I'm so sorry for all the difficulties you have faced in this journey.

      Delete
  2. Contact the hospital Ombudsman... patient advocate.
    Vent to him/hey as well. So sorry you are getting the short end... continuing my prayers for you... always.
    ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annie. How lucky am I to have friends who know this stuff? I love my LvHS sistahs!

      Delete