Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Port de Bras


Port de Bras


No, we’re not talking a ballet move here.  I’m merely amused by the word ‘port’ in the same phrase as ‘bras.’* Quite apt for my purposes here; that being an essay about a port-a-cath being removed from  my chest after breast cancer treatment.

Actually, this probably won’t be much of an essay, as the surgery wasn’t much of a…surgery.  All that stress and sleeplessness the night before for…this:

I’ll just cut to the O.R., as rehashing the prep, even including veins worn out by chemo being nearly impossible to locate for an I.V., is just, well, B-O-R-I-N-G.

Apparently, all of the general anesthesia I’ve had within the last year has given me a bit of a drug tolerance, resulting in the “twilight sleep” not quite living up to that claim. Nevertheless, the surgery was almost pleasant as the doctor, nurses, and I discussed recent movies, the awards season, and Brad Pitt during the procedure. We even viewed a video of Mr. Pitt’s amusing SAG award acceptance speech!  Classical music playing softly over the O.R. speakers lent to a mellow atmosphere, made more mellow by the ‘cocktail’ flowing through my veins.  It truly was the most fun I’ve had lying on an operating room table, ever!

So, I just need to watch for infection, take only Tylenol for pain, and, my favorite instruction; not shower for three days.  Yeah, I’m an old hand at not showering, that’s for sure.  I think I went about 50 days early last year between the three surgeries over a 5-6 week period.  Just when you think you’ll no longer need those leftover disposable body wash cloths…

The above instructions are only in effect for three days, which means I’ll be able to shower just in time for RADIATION (see previous post). The fun continues…

* I actually got my very first bra on a March 17, St. Patrick’s Day.  At the time I thought that the phrase, “Erin Go Bragh” was quite apt, as well. Yeah, I can draw parallels anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment