Monday, August 20, 2018

Gone Today, Hair Tomorrow

Yep. I'm bald. Bald and bitchy. Just don't call me 'cueball.'

So...a week or two ago I noticed my hair coming out in handfuls. Yes, handfuls. So. Many. Handfuls.  It's really amazing how much hair is on one's head. Even on one who believes they don't have a lot of hair. Trust me. You have a lot of hair. Possibly a ton of hair. Or close to it.

So...my helpful daughter volunteered to brush my hair. OH. EM. GEE. Those handfuls became brushfuls. It was crazy. And they just kept on coming. She finally put down the brush and just started raking through my hair with her fingers. Interesting that the longer hairs seemed to all come out first. I guess that makes sense. After all, they're the oldest. She eventually fetched a ziplock gallon bag and we now have a lovely bag of hair in the bathroom cabinet. Weird, you may think. Well...

I had read a story about a chemo patient who, after drying her hair, would shake the towel out the window. She did this repeatedly over some weeks. Several months later, a neighborhood child ran to her holding a sweet little bird's nest, commenting on how soft it was. The chemo patient picked up the nest and realized that it was made almost entirely from her own discarded hair and was, indeed, as soft as could be. Isn't that sweet? I may have told this story in a previous post but I'm much too tired to go back and look. I claim chemo brain! So I figure that, next spring, I'll help the little birdies out.

This is a good time to mention a particular angel in my life. A fellow BC warrior, she apparently had quite the scarf and beanie collection. She offered to send me some, as she said she had 'zillions.' Well, zillions is a big number so I took her up on her generous offer. Let me just say that I am the proud owner of several beautiful scarves of all sizes, colors, and fabrics...some are even pre-tied! And some adorable little beanie hats in a soft bamboo fabric. I seem to have a head covering to go with everything. I'm so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment