Thursday, July 12, 2018

Please Enter The donut

Yep, that's what P.E.T. must stand for. That was yesterday's adventure. How was it? Well, as Tom Petty said, "the waiting is the hardest part." And what a wait it was, although I have a feeling this was nothing compared to what's coming.

Got there at about 7:30 a.m. Drank some weird clear liquid and waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, at 9:15 a.m. I was called back. Only to wait an additional hour after being injected with weird radioactive crap. Third injection attempt was the charm as he blew out two veins with his first two attempts. I'm beginning to realize how one might appreciate having a port. He couldn't use my brand new port for some reason, though. It was still all bandaged up and sore.

So then it was into the donut for maybe 20 minutes. Kind of anticlimactic after all the waiting. Not so bad. If you close your eyes, you don't even know that the ceiling of the donut is practically on your face. Kinda' claustrophobic, but it seems they kept moving me in and out of the donut, so not so bad. I would say that the hardest part was having to hold my arms overhead with wrists crossed. Reason being my chest port wound was sore and the weird tape was pulling.

My angel friend (you know who you are) then took me back home where I was so happy to be able to EAT. Then I basically napped the afternoon away as I had only slept about 3 hours the night before.
Anticipatory insomnia, I suppose.

Today got up super early and am thrilled to report NO APPOINTMENTS! YAY! Also, (hold onto your hats)...I get to SHOWER! Had to wait 3 days from port installation. It will be so nice to wash my hair! Now just one more week until I can swim. 🏊Missing that 'cuz the pool is so nice and I like to swim at night if I can't sleep.

Took the bandages off of the port incisions in anticipation of a shower and they don't look too bad at all. The skin around is kinda' irritated and itchy from me scratching and that weird tape that looks like clear packing tape that was on top of the bandages. I think that plus the betadine really dried out and irritated my skin. The port underneath my skin is kinda' weird but not too gross. Incisions are kinda' (there's that word again) high up so my bikini modeling days may be numbered. 👙

So, on the advice of another angel (dear friend), I'm going to get a second opinion prior to starting chemo. It only makes sense. So blessed to have my friends to think of this stuff for me. And that's going to be even MORE valuable once I have "chemo brain." Although, I can't help but wonder if chemo might improve my memory as it's so bad now it couldn't possibly get worse.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Second opinion -- good idea. Hope you get to swim soon sweetie xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you’’ll seek a second opinion

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an ordeal and emotional roller-coaster this must be for you. You are definitely in my thoughts and I am lifting you up in prayer asking God to place a hedge of protection around you and to please guide you through this process with the best doctors and treatments available to you. I also lit a candle for you at the monastery in Greece.

    I really like the advise from your friend about "Don't be SAD be MAD". This is a fight and you have to win it!

    Regarding the 2nd and even 3rd opinions: We are all human and everyone (even doctors) makes mistakes so you have to get a 2nd/3rd opinion just to know that different doctors are reading your reports differently and can offer more advise and other treatment options that you may not be aware of. Having more information will help you make the best treatment decisions. When you go to your next appointment, please ask about any clinical trials that may be an option for you as well.

    My friend, Dr. Eva Kirimis. She is an oncologist with UCLA. She is very sweet and comforting. I can text her if you want to so to give her a heads up that you will contact her for a 2nd or 3rd opinion if you want to. Her office number is: 626-396-2999.
    She is in Pasadena.

    I can also reach out to some doctors here at USC as well. I don't want to overwhelm you with advise but I know the lady at USC that handles all the appointments for our USC major gift donors when they seek medical care.
    Because they are high end donors, they get the VIP treatment so to speak so she puts them in touch with the best here at USC and makes their appointments for them. She can refer the best doctors to me and I will give them to you. It won't hurt for you to get a consultation with them. We are a research hospital with the Norris Cancer Center right here on campus so I'm surrounded by brilliant researchers everyday who are working on the latest and greatest treatments and cures. I hope you will consider this option as well. I'll let you know what she sends me.

    I know you have many people giving you advise and all of this is very confusing and overwhelming, but I will be happy to look into it and let you know what I find out.

    Our moto at USC is "FIGHT ON"!
    Let this be your moto as well.

    I love you and am sending you big hugs and kisses and lots of prayers.
    Hang in there and FIGHT ON!

    ReplyDelete